PokéForumunity
Welcome to PokéForumunity! It appears you are logged out. Please login for additional features and content. If you don't have an account already, please feel free to make one to receieve additional features and content.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PokéForumunity
Welcome to PokéForumunity! It appears you are logged out. Please login for additional features and content. If you don't have an account already, please feel free to make one to receieve additional features and content.
PokéForumunity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes... Empty In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes...

Post by Champion Blackwolf Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:40 pm

In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes... <a href=In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes... Slowbr10" />
Slowpoke is a Gen 1 water/psychic Pokemon, well-known for being slow and kind of retarded. It takes an average five seconds to realize it's hurting. It likes to spend hours fishing with its tail. It gets on very well with another dummy, Psyduck. It has a decent amount of coverage moves, but as it needs setup, can't really use anything but STAB. Slowpoke has nice bulk for a LC Pokemon, with 90 base HP (shares the fifth place with Igglybuff, Phanpy and Lickitung), 65 base defense and 40 base SpD. It does need that bulk, considering a 15 base speed, yet it still has to choose between a 65 base attack and a 40 base SpA, given it evolves into something more special-focused. About the abilities, it can get Oblivious (protected against the likes of Taunt, Encore, Attract), Own Tempo (protects it from confusion) and Regenerator (regains 1/3 of its max HP on switch-out). Three defensive abolities that suit it well.

Comparing it to its evolved forms: once a Shellder bites a Slowpoke's tail (at lvl 37), they evolve into Slowbro. Bacisally a Slowpoke with a tail so heavy it helps it stand. Still a dummy, but a tough one, with a 95 base HP for a 110 base defense and a 80 base SpD. Still slow (30), but the disappointment is the HP, raising by 5 during evolution. So much for a tank. Anyway the 490 base stat total is spread between the bulk and SpA (base 100). With setup moves like Calm Mind and defensive moves like Thunder Wave, Slack Off or Yawn, Slowbro can last pretty long in a battle while still doing a fair amount of damage. As its abilities remain the same, you can still avoid taunts with Oblivious or regain HP again and again with Regenerator. If you remember struggling against Ho-Oh or Amoonguss, well this will be no different with Slowbro.

However, if Slowpoke gets bit on the head while wearing a King's Rock, it evolves into Slowking. Still very slow, but due to toxins from Shellder's bite into its brain, Slowking is a lot smarter. The abilities remain the same, and the only difference with Slowbro in terms of stats is that its defense and special defense are swapped, making its stats 95/75/80/100/110/30. With both learning Iron Defense and Calm Mind, and having similar stats and the same abilities, why is Slowbro used a lot more than Slowking? The thing is, Slowking learns more moves than Slowbro, here's the difference: Slowbro is the only one to learn Aerial Ace and Withdraw, while Slowking learns Dragon Tail, Nasty Plot, Power Gem, Power-up Punch, Quash and Trump Card. You never see them use one of these moves anyway. So what's the difference? Why is one used more than the other, since the difference in defensive stats can be compensated by either Iron Defense or Calm Mind?

Mega-Slowbro. This might be the reason: Slowbro has a Mega-Evolution and Slowking doesn't. But this isn't, because Slowbro was already used a lot more than Slowking before Slowbronite was a thing. And regular Slowbro is still more present than Mega-Slowbro: regular Slowbro is OU, while Mega-Slowbro is OU by technicality, which means "it's OU for the only reason that its base form is".  People still prefer spamming Regenerator than having the big tough Megabro by their side. The other Pokemon said to be "OU by technicality" are Mega-Tyranitar (more nonsense), Mega-Latias/Latios (understandable, they don't gain speed and not enough of any other stat while their base forms can have leftovers, scarf, life orb and other useful stuff) and Mega-Garchomp (because the scarfed one might be more dangerous). And Mega-Slowbro's the most dangerous of them all.  But Mega-Slowbro is banned from monotype. Seriously, banned from monotype and only OU by technicality? That doesn't make sense, you're either OP or you're not, there's no grey area.  This is how OP Mega-Slowbro is: 180 base defense with access to Iron Defense, 130 base SpA and still 80 base SpD but access to Calm Mind, can heal with Slack Off and its ability is Shell Armor, preventing ANY critical hit it could take. Basically if you let it setup, it's too late to stop it unless you're immune to it's offensive moves, you have Unaware or Mold Breaker. I've already seen Mega-Slowbro tanking an entire CAP team. That's why Megabro being "OU by technicality" bugs me that much, it truly deserves a higher rank.

How to play them?

In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes... <a href=In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes... Slowpo10" />

Breaking news! Some stupid idiot shot Cecil the lion!

Slowpoke: LC tier. I've seen three possible ways to play with it: physical, special, wall. Here are the sets for each.

Wall: a Smogon set making Slowpoke one of the toughest things in LC, with an eviolite to complement its bulk, and Regenerator because most of makind dream of immortality. It's a common stall set, with Scald to burn physical attackers, Thunder Wave to prevent a couple moves, Slack Off to heal again and again without switching. Psychic is still there for coverage, but Fire Blast is also an option. Yes, a water type that learns a fire move, annoyingly tanky, that can become a ragequit machine. I've seen something else like that, but where was it-OH, Rotom-Wash of course! Well if you like that, go for it.

Smogon LC set:
Slowpoke lvl 5 @eviolite
Regenerator

Scald
Thunder Wave
Slack Off
Psychic/Fire Blast

Physical: because Slowpoke has a higher attack and then evolves into two Pokemon with higher special attack, Pokemon logic again. Not as successful as the lame wall set, but still bulky, strong and can catch an opponent off-guard. My physical set for it is, eviolite and Regenerator, with Slack off, for a bulky sweeper. Curse to boost both your attack and your defense, and then unload Zen Headbutt, Aqua Tail, or a coverage move if you want. The downside of physical Slowpoke is that its best STAB moves lack accuracy. Besides that, it can work well as a bulky physical sweeper. I lead with it to make sure no boosted attacker gets in its way, but there may be a better time to use it. Physical Slowpoke is rather effective and if it happened to be overshadowed in my team, it was mostly by Munchlax and Honedge. Enough said.

LC physical set:
Slowpoke lvl5 @eviolite
Regenerator

Curse
Aqua Tail
Zen Headbutt
Slack Off

Special: slightly more offensive than the Smogon set. Still Regenerator and eviolite, with Slack Off, Scald and Psychic. But since you can do so much better with your time than annoying everyone through Thunder Wave, you can balance your bulk by raising your special defense, and increase your power at the same time with Calm Mind. You can paralyze opponent after opponent, or you can boost yourself once and for all, to unload later. Yet, as it's Slowpoke and not Slowbro, it lacks special attack and gets overshadowed by many special attackers, especially the Omanyte I put in the testing team. Better get either the physical one or the wall.

LC special set:
Slowpoke lvl 5 @eviolite
Regenerator

Scald
Psychic
Slack Off
Calm Mind

In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes... <a href=In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes... Slowbr10" />

Errrrrrr...  did I catch a fish?

Slowbro: OU tier. As for some reason Slowbro is more common than Slowking, despite a difference in stats that can be compensated, and learning the same useful moves, I'm giving you the common set for Slowbro and something else for Slowking. Slowbro is quite annoying in OU or monotype with leftovers, Regenerator, spamming Scald and Slack Off. The third move is often Psyshock (or Psychic depending on what you want to hit), but sometimes Fire Blast to hit grass or bug, and they complete the set with either Thunder Wave (some people just want to watch the world burn) or Calm Mind (because come on, it can fight). Not much to say about it, everyone has seen that Slowbro, that's how common it is.

Smogon Slowbro wall:
Slowbro @ leftovers
Regenerator

Thunder Wave/Calm Mind
Scald
Psyshock/Fire Blast
Slack Off

In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes... <a href=In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes... Slowki10" />
I'm a lot smarter, I know more moves, and they still neglect me and use that idiot...  When I get a mega, you're DEAD!

Slowking: RU tier. Here are two sets for it. The first one is by Smogon, based on assault vest with Regenerator. Scald for STAB, Dragon Tail to force-switch a boosted opponent, Fire Blast for coverage. Any psychic move? Sure, here's Future Sight, rather than Psychic, because Future Sight is stronger and hits two moves later. You use your other moves, and after the third turn the opponent is struck by Future Sight. With that move you can deliver two powerful hits in one turn, killing a sash holder or a Sturdy guy. You can even break the opponent's strategy by inflicting damage to a random Pokemon, with the combination of Future Sight and Dragon Tail. To know more about Future Sight, see n°42 Xatu or n°31 Arceus once I'm done translating it. 248 HP, 168 SpA, 92 def because you still need it, remember you can't heal besides Regenerator. Modest nature is fine.

Smogon tank Slowking:
Slowking @assault vest
Regenerator

Scald
Future Sight
Dragon Tail
Fire Blast

The second set is the one my co-champion uses. Psychic type lover specialized in uncommon sets, you're likely to see his Slowking if you battle him in monotype. Oblivious and Colbur berry. As taunts are useless against his set, Oblivious is mostly there for a combo with Skill Swap (nobody would give Regenerator to an opponent). Imagine a Pokemon op just because of its ability that gets Oblivious instead. Negating a good ability, first use. Then, he runs Magic Coat to bounce things like Toxic, Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Wave, Leech Seed, entry hazards and many more. Anti-stall, second use. For a third move, he runs Scald not to get stuck with just Slowking without anything to fight. Damage, third use, burn, fourth use. But his Slowking actually works better against a physical opponent that's not burned, unless it's boosted, because the last move he runs is Counter. Exactly, Slowbro has good special defense and compensates its lower defense with Counter. The guy takes it to the next level with a Colbur berry, enabling Slowking to take a physical dark hit without fainting and to KO the opponent. Hyperspace Fury Hoopa-Unbound? Sucker Punch or Knock Off Bisharp? Mega-Absol? He can beat them. That works against bug if you get the proper berry. Weakness check, fifth use. Taking advantage of bulk to counterattack, sixth use. Slowking is underrated, it may not look strong but it's a versatile Pokemon and my friend can do exactly what he wants with it, thanks to that very set. Because you don't need to be OP.

Merciful Slowking:
Slowking @Colbur berry
Oblivious

Scald
Skill Swap
Magic Coat
Counter

In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes... <a href=In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes... Mega-s10" />

Dun dun dun dun, dun dun, dun dun, can't crit this.

Mega-Slowbro: OU by technicality. Playable in OU (you can also try it above), banned from monotype, also great in CAP. Raise both defensive stats with Iron Defense and Calm Mind, you also increase your power. Attack with either Scald or Psyshock, and keep room for Slack Off. You have great bulk, good power, the proper boosts, a healing move and after setup you almost can't be stopped, since you're protected against CRITS. If you want to counter Megabro, attack before it powers up. Or use a super-effective move from a Mold Breaker Pokemon (or Kyurem-Black) and pray for a crit. Or toxic stall it. Or use Haze/Clear Smog then attack several times. Or find a Water Absorb Pokemon with Taunt and attack until it faints. Or, since it has a 95 base HP, get the good old Victini from article n°39 (still to be translated)  and use Final Gambit, worth a OHKO. So many of Megabro's counters are way too circumstantial, that's why Megabro is so dangerous: most of its opponents are just not prepared. 248 HP and give the rest wherever you want between SpA, def and SpD, they'll get a boost anyway.

Supertank Megabro:
Slowbro @Slowbronite
Any ability --> Shell Armor

Calm Mind
Iron Defense
Scald
Slack Off

The Slowbro line is somewhat fun to use, but sadly people spam them to the point of making them truly annoying, except Slowking that's very interesting and truly underrated.

By Champion Blackwolf. I do not own the pictures. Next topic: Wobbuffet.
Champion Blackwolf

Champion Blackwolf

Pokédollars : 904

Back to top Go down

In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes... Empty Re: In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes...

Post by Woyaojinkela Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:12 pm

Nice article, i like those sets XD I can see people raging when slowking uses counter XDXD. i should probably troll someone with the regenerator core. Hoping for the OP alolan pokemon to get banned quickly, they are way too op...
Woyaojinkela

Woyaojinkela
fish

fish

Pokédollars : 9312

Back to top Go down

In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes... Empty Re: In the moonlight n°45: The... slow... pokes...

Post by Champion Blackwolf Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Some of them are Wink Btw I'm going to wait before the next articles, time to get used to Gen7. And of course, all the next articles with a mega are suspended until those get released Wink
Champion Blackwolf

Champion Blackwolf

Pokédollars : 904

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top