PokéForumunity
Welcome to PokéForumunity! It appears you are logged out. Please login for additional features and content. If you don't have an account already, please feel free to make one to receieve additional features and content.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PokéForumunity
Welcome to PokéForumunity! It appears you are logged out. Please login for additional features and content. If you don't have an account already, please feel free to make one to receieve additional features and content.
PokéForumunity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill Empty In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill

Post by Champion Blackwolf Thu May 12, 2016 8:31 am

[img]In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill Mewtwo12[/img]

Nature and origins
Mewtwo is one of the best known Pokemon. It's often thought to be legendary because of how rare and powerful it is, but it is no legendary Pokemon as it is not a part of the Pokemon mythology. It has no role at all. Mewtwo is actually a clone created by Professor Fuji for Team Rocket. They wanted to create the World's strongest Pokemon out of Mew's genes.

[img]In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill Mewtwo10[/img]
Mewtwo basically had no childhood: he (the one from the first movie) grew up in a lab in Cinnabar Island and, as a child, locked in a pod until he's all grown up, managed to telepathically communicate with his companions, four other clones, born at the same time as him. They were Bulbasaurtwo, Charmandertwo and Squirtletwo and Ambertwo, the clone of Professor Fuji's daughter who died in an accident and whose father desperately tried to bring back to life. When the other clones died, Mewtwo went into a state of shock and lost the control of his psychic powers, which almost led him to destroying the lab, the scientists sedating him right before that. Mewtwo wouldn't wake up until he was all grown up, and he lost all his childhood memories in the meantime, three words only remaining, being Ambertwo's last words: “life is wonderful”. After waking up, Mewtwo added: “but, why?”. Then, he had a talk with the scientists, learning from them that he was just the result of an experiment. Seeking a purpose to his existence, and deciding he wasn't destined to spend it serving some scientists in a lab, who created him without any consideration, also frustrated of being created instead of being born in the free world, he destroyed the lab. It is still not stated how Mr Fuji managed to survive, but he dedicated the rest of his life to redemption. As for Mewtwo, he met Giovanni, and the two agreed on a partnership: Giovanni would help Mewtwo focus his powers, and Mewtwo would protect Giovanni and work for him. After some time training and defending the gym (notably against Gary Oak, who got the surprise of not finding any data through his Pokedex, understanding he was fighting a Pokemon nobody knew about, and whose weaknesses remained secret) in a special armor, Mewtwo realized that Giovanni would just use him as his ultimate weapon, and has never seen him as an equal, but a mere tool, Mewtwo destroyed his cell and armor and flied away. He has lived since then as an independent Pokemon, and has even been the only Pokemon to also be a trainer, by making his own party out of clones. He started with Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise (at the same time, and we can notice that they had the same marks Mewtwo's dead companions had).
[img]In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill Mewtwo13[/img]
Mewtwo's size, his perfect mastery of human language (Japanese), the way he stands and the fact that he has also been a trainer lets me believe he wasn't made only out of Mew's genes, but human genes as well.

Battling skills through the ages

One can notice Mewtwo's skills have evolved since first generation. His base stats started with a total of 590, the highest of that time. Mewtwo had no rival, no equal. Not even Mew and Dragonite, who shared the second place with 500. The special attack and defense, back then, were one same stat, known as “special”, which was kinda unbalanced and needed a correction, later brought along with GoldSilver/Crystal. That special stat gave Mewtwo a huge advantage he then lost: Mewtwo had the highest base special, 154, and that counted for both offensive and defensive play. With Amnesia, he could gain insane destructive power, but also reinforce his bulk.
There are two ways of comparing Gen1 Mewtwo to Arceus. You can either fuse Arceus' both special stats into the “special” and consider Arceus had five base stats at 120 for a total of 600, barely ahead of Mewtwo who had 590, or you can consider Mewtwo had a 154 base special defense as well as special attack, giving Mewtwo a base stat total of 734 and making him surpass Arceus himself. This is how strong Mewtwo was in Gen1. Oh, by the way: he's the first Uber ever, along with Mew.
[img]In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill Mewtwo11[/img]
Gen 2 weakened him (and brought balance to the game) with special defense, giving him a base of 90 in that stat, reducing his bulk. Mewtwo has had a base stat total of 680 since then. Still the strongest since Gen 2, but along with Lugia and Ho-Oh, the genuine legendaries. His base stats have been, since then, 106/110/90/154/90/130.

Gen 3 brought the abilities. Mewtwo was given Pressure, forcing an opponent to use 2 PP per move instead of one, giving Mewtwo enough to stall an opponent out. With Gen 5, Mewtwo was given a hidden ability, Unnerve, that totally freezes the opposing berries, as well as a signature move, Psystrike, 100 base power (150 with psychic STAB) and 100% accuracy, special but hits physical defense.
Gen 6 made Mewtwo great again: surpassed by Arceus in Gen 4, Mewtwo found his way to the mega-evolution, and gained not one but two. A false legendary, the very first Uber, has now two mega-evolutions. Lord Mewtwo, OP then, OP now, OP forever.

[img]In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill Mewtwo16[/img]
Comparing it to its mega-evolutions: they both have a base stat total of 780, the highest to this day, only matched by Mega-Rayquaza, who appeared with ORAS. Mega-Mewtwo-X gets the highest attack boost of all mega-evolutions, with 80. Yes, 80. He also gains a small boost in both defense stats. You now have a beast with a 190 base attack, easily the highest (ignoring abilities: if you consider Huge/Pure Power users, MMX is actually third). He's now at 106/190/100/154/100/130. His typing changes for psychic/fighting and gets Steadfast for an ability: his speed raises by two stages when made to flinch. Come at me, Shaymin-Sky! Insane attack, high speed, good bulk and still high special attack in case of burn, has an ability that boosts his speed when he flinches, and he has access to Recover. Feel the pain.
If Mega-Mewtwo-X is polyvalent, Mega-Mewtwo-Y is obviously meant for offensive. Her base attack (because the Mega-Mewtwo-Y we see in the 16th movie is female, it's a totally different one) goes from 110 to 150 and her special attack jumps to 194. Highest SpA ever, and surpasses once again Deoxys-Attack (MMX did at Atk). Her base speed also gains a small boost, and goes up to 140, she now shares the eighth place with Electrode. Finally, her special defense boost makes that stat go up to 120 and she loses defense to remain “balanced” (from 90 to 70). Her ability is Insomnia, she can't be put to sleep nor can she use Rest (she must have been made out of my genes). You now have a Pokemon with 106/150/70/194/120/140. Less impressive than the X one but still a beast. She's still a full psychic type, making her counterable by Mega-Kangaskhan's double Sucker Punch. But she remains the Queen of Ubers.
[img]In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill Mewtwo17[/img]
Comparing Mewtwo and Mew: Mew has a base of 100 in each stat, and can learn almost every move. Mewtwo is different. The scientists modified his genes so he could use only what they were interested in: destructive power. This is probably why he has slightly lower defenses and high offensive stats. The fact that he has a higher special attack than physical may come from the fact that there was only one special stat at the time, making Mewtwo even more powerful (but you already know why). Mewtwo has also lost Softboiled, Metronome, Transform and such other moves, to keep the strong ones and become the war machine Giovanni wanted.

How to play this beast?

[img]In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill Mewtwo15[/img]
Invincible Gen 1 set: Uber, but could be used ingame. There was no EV, IV, nature, held items or abilities, so just consider the moves, stats and typing. Mewtwo is able to setup, regain HP and attack, he doesn't need any help. He's also a psychic type Pokemon, which means he basically had no weakness back in Gen 1. Psychic was immune to ghost moves, and the only bug offensive moves were twineedle and pin missile. You don't counter a type with just two moves, especially if they're weak. You have a Pokemon with high special, high HP, good defense, and like no weakness. So, you could make it invincible by using four moves. Amnesia would raise the special by two stages, and Barrier the defense. You did it three times, while alternating with Recover. Then, a fully setup Mewtwo would destroy everything while taking little damage and he could still recover anyway. Amnesia might be the main reason the special was divided into two different stats. Fourth move, Psychic, base power 95, up to 142 with psychic STAB, and keep in mind that the dark type didn't exist back then. There was no psychic immunity at all, and even if an opponent wanted to stall Mewtwo with another psychic type, Mewtwo had the highest special of the whole game and was able to set it up. If you face it without Transform Mew… good luck.
[img]In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill Mewtwo14[/img]
Gen 6 sets: Mewtwo's base form. Very simple: Mewtwo is Uber under all forms. Better run Unnerve, that way the opponent can't use any berry (they can make the difference). For the item, I'd say choice specs if you want to hit really hard, choice scarf to outspeed Deoxys, Mega-Gengar or slower scarfers, life orb to hit hard but still keep the access to four moves (including Recover), leftovers if you think you have enough power. If you run a choice item, get four offensive moves. For the psychic STAB, Psystrike is great: 100 base power (150 with STAB), 100% accuracy, hits physical defense, which helps when facing a special tank or wall like Primal-Kyogre or Chansey. Then, you have PLENTY of coverage moves. Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Blizzard, Thunder, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Aura Sphere, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Hurricane, Water Pulse, Signal Beam… If you have a choice item, you can get three of those (or anything you want), you can even choose between greater power or full accuracy. If you have life orb or leftovers, I recommand keeping a slot for Calm Mind (especially if leftovers) or Recover (especially if life orb). 252 SpA 252 Speed. Modest nature (+SpA) if choice scarf, Timid (+Speed) if else. Considering how good his mega-evolutions are, base form Mewtwo is mostly here when you want another mega, such as Gengar, Kangaskhan, Rayquaza (Anything Goes), Blaziken...
[img]In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill Mmx_110[/img]
Physical Mega-Mewtwo-X
Mega-evolve from the start. For this set, I like to get two STAB moves, being Psycho Cut (power 105 with psychic STAB and high crit ratio), and a fighting move, mine is Drain Punch, enabling you to regain some HP while hitting. My third move here is Bulk Up: increasing Mewtwo's attack will scare your opponents, even more if the defense follows. Finally a coverage move, you have plenty of them: Aqua Tail, an elemental punch, Aerial Ace, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Poison Jab, it's up to you. Mine is Poison Jab to counter the fairy type. 248 HP, 252 Atk adamant.
[img]In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill Mmx_210[/img]
Mixed Mega-Mewtwo-X
If you run MMX, keep in mind that he also has a very high base SpA, not only an insane attack stat. You can use this to play mind games. Mega-evolve and use a physical move to finish off a prey, and when the opponent sends a physical wall/tank, surprise them with a special move. You can get physical STAB and special coverage, special STAB and physical coverage, a STAB for each… it's up to you. My mixed MMX runs Earthquake, Aura Sphere, Psystrike and Calm Mind. Yes, Psystrike in a mixed MMX set, I'm a daring guy. Plus, Calm Mind will bridge the gap between attack and special attack, making Psystrike relevant, whatever your EV spread is. Mine is 252 SpA, 252 Speed, 4 Atk. Naive or Hasty nature. If you pick that,Your attack will still be enough of a threat (417), and your special attack will be at 407 before Calm Mind. That combined with a speed of 394 and you get a beast. Even if you don't use that to surprise the opponent, you can still get a mixed MMX to deal heavy damage even after a burn.
[img]In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill Mmy10[/img]
Mega-Mewtwo-Y
No mixed set for her, even if she has a 150 base attack: her physical defense is too low and has far better special moves than physical. Psystrike for the STAB, unless you wanna get Psychic to target special defense. If you think you can take a hit, get Calm Mind to raise your SpA even more. If you think you can't afford to setup, get an all-out set. Two or three coverage moves, depending on your choice, you have plenty of them, even Hurricane. Mine runs Psystrike, Calm Mind, Shadow Ball and Ice Beam. 252 SpA, 252 Speed, Timid nature.
Professor Fuji dreamed of creating the world's strongest Pokemon, and he succeeded.

By Champion Blackwolf. I do not own the pictures. Next topic: Mawile.
Champion Blackwolf

Champion Blackwolf

Pokédollars : 904

Back to top Go down

In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill Empty Re: In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill

Post by Woyaojinkela Thu May 12, 2016 9:56 am

I like low kick>drain punch on mega mewtwo x cuz ubers are heavy n_n Good article n_n. It's funny how mega mewtwo y checks darkrai pretty well cuz insomnia and aura sphere/focus blast XD
Woyaojinkela

Woyaojinkela
fish

fish

Pokédollars : 9312

Back to top Go down

In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill Empty Re: In the moonlight n°16: Mewtwo, born to kill

Post by Champion Blackwolf Thu May 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Yes good point^^ But if Darkrai has a sash, MMY won't do much. But still, for the unique story behind that Pokemon, Mewtwo will always have a special place in my heart, that's why I took so long. I could also compare it to two Pokemon (other than Mew and Arceus), but as an article about those is coming as well, I will wait Wink
Champion Blackwolf

Champion Blackwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Woyaojinkela Thu May 12, 2016 4:17 pm

252 SpA Darkrai Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mewtwo Y: 230-272 (65.1 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
if it hold sash, it wont get a chance of OHKO mewtwo y
Woyaojinkela

Woyaojinkela
fish

fish

Pokédollars : 9312

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Blackwolf Thu May 12, 2016 10:34 pm

Then it's all good Smile Thanks
Champion Blackwolf

Champion Blackwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Champion Blackwolf Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:57 pm

I've just had a Gen1 random battle. I was led 3-1 by an Alakazam, a Dragonite and a Tauros. Then I used my last Pokemon, it happened to be Mewtwo. THE Mewtwo, with the invincible set. I won of course.
Champion Blackwolf

Champion Blackwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top